| Description [Français / English] |
Composition sonore Stop List |
Enregistrements Recordings |
Retour Return |
L'église épiscopalienne Holy Trinity est située dans le secteur Yorkville de Manhattan sur la 88e rue entre la 1re et la 2e avenue.
Historique
L'église a été fondée en 1864 par le révérend Stephen H. Tyng Jr dont le père Stephen H. Tyng était le recteur de l'église St. George de Stuyvesant Place.
Un premier édifice, conçu dans la style cottage orné victorien par le Britannique Jacob Wrey Mould (1825-1886), est construit sur le coin nord de l'avenue Madison et de la 42e rue.
À mesure que la population de la cité continue de s'établir vers le nord de la ville, le nombre de fidèles augmente et l'édifice devient trop petit. Le révérend Tyng choisit Leopold Eidlitz (1823-1908), un immigrant juif né à Prague et éduqué à Vienne, pour concevoir une nouvelle église qui serait un « théâtre avec des éléments ecclésiastiques ». Achevée sur le même site en 1873, la nouvelle église est construite dans le style gothique victorien avec un clocher et une flèche. L'intérieur est décoré avec des motifs de couleur jaune, brune, rouge et bleu ce qui lui valut le surnom de « l'église à la courtepointe ».
Vers la fin du XIXe siècle, l'église connaît un déclin étant affectée par les intérêts commerciaux en croissance dans ce centre-ville, car elle est située à seulement une rue du premier Grand Central Depot. L'église désire alors quitter ce secteur commercial et décide de s'unir à l'église St. James qui est située au coin de la 71e rue et de l'avenue madison et qui supporte une mission, la maison St. Christopher (garderie, centre sportif, bibliothèque, salles de réunions, salles de jeux et douches publiques), sise sur le 83 rue.
À peu près au même moment, Serena Rhinelander, une descendante de William Rhinelander, un des hommes les plus riches de New York qui, en 1798, avait acheté 72 acres s'étendant de la 3e avenue jusqu'à la rivière East pour y établir sa maison de vacances, veut, en mémoire de son père et de son grand-père, faire don non seulement d'un site du côté sud de la 88e rue entre la 1ere et la 2e avenue, mais aussi de couvrir les coûts de conception et de construction d'une église. Serena Rhineland veut faire ce don à l'église St. James qui deviendrait le répondant de ce nouveau complexe qui était destiné à un quartier ouvrier. Toutefois, l'église St. James ne peut, au début, accepter l'offre parce qu'elle ne possède pas les ressources financières pour assurer le maintien du nouveau complexe. La fusion avec Holy Trinity allait fournir la solution à cette situation. Le produit de la vente de l'église Holy Trinity allait fournir les ressources nécessaires pour accepter l'offre de Serena Rhinelander.
Le diocèse de New York accepte de transférer à l'église St. James le produit de la vente de l'église Holy Trinity. Ceci permet à l'église St. James de repayer sa propre dette et d'accepter le mémorial de Serene Rhinelander en établissant un fonds de 200 000 $. Le diocèse transfère aussi le nom Holy Trinity au nouveau complexe. Ainsi, la générosité de Serene Rhinelander et le fonds ainsi créé à St. James, permet au quartier d'obtenir une institution qu'elle n'aurait pas eu la capacité de s'offrir.
La nouvelle communauté commence ses activités le 28 avril 1897 dans la salle de réunion de la maison St. Christopher.
La construction de la nouvelle église débute en novembre de la même année par la pose de pierre angulaire. L'inauguration a lieu le 6 mai 1899.
L'architecture
Le complexe est situé sur un terrain en forme de parallélogramme ayant 47,5 mètres (150 pieds) de façade sur la 88e rue et 30,5 mètres (100 pieds) en profondeur, l'équivalent de 11 lots. Serena Rhinelander achète et fait don d'un petit rectangle de terrain au côté sud du parallélogramme vers la 87e rue pour permettre la construction du transept sud et pour permettre un recul.
J. Stewart Barney de la firme Barney & Chapman est choisi comme architecte. Le complexe est fermé à l'est par le presbytère et à l'ouest par la maison St. Christopher, la maison paroissiale. Tout le complexe est relié par un cloître qui permet de passer d'un édifice à un autre sans sortir à l'extérieur. La portion du cloître reliant la maison paroissiale à l'église est ponctuée par la saillie polygonale de l'abside de la chapelle du matin.
L'architecture de l'église est de style gothique français du XIIIe siècle qui met l'emphase sur la verticalité et la translucidité. À l'extérieur, les pinacles accentuent ce mouvement de verticalité tandis que les contreforts, qui retiennent la pression vers l'extérieur exercé par les voûtes, lorsque vus de l'intérieur, laissent paraître qu'une petite partie de ces volumineux éléments de la structure.
Le clocher, de structure ouverte, fait 1,9 mètres (20 pieds) carrés et s'élève à une hauteur de 45,7 mètres (150 pieds). Il s'élève au centre du parallélogramme. D'une telle taille, le clocher ne paraît pas massif puisque ses longs côtés sont accentués verticalement par des fentes ouvertes qui prennent la forme d'arcs gothiques concentriques et dont la décoration est délicate et élégante. Une exubérante quantité de sculptures en terra-cotta décore le sommet : fleurons, fleurs de lys, pignons, tourelles et 15 gargoyles symbolisant la surveillance. Une flèche octogonale couronne la tour. Le clocher contient 10 cloches qui furent fondues en 1898 par la firme Meneely & Co. de Troy, NY. L'ensemble est joué manuelle à partir d'un clavier placé à mi-hauteur de la tour et qui a été restauré en 1995.
La partie inférieure de la tour est décorée d'un portail richement décoré. La porte principale est entourée, du côté gauche, par les statues d'Ézéchiel, Jérémie et Isaïe et du côté droit par celles de saint Pierre, saint Jacques et saint Jean. Au centre de la porte, une figure du Christ apparaît dans une niche. Sur le tympan, on retrouve un bas-relief illustrant le Christ commandant à ses disciples d'aller enseigner et de baptiser. Ce portail est l'oeuvre de Karl Bitter qui exécuta aussi les statues de saint Paul et de saint Barnabé qui sont placées de chaque côté de la grande fenêtre de l'ouest ainsi que celles de saint Jean-Baptiste et celle d'Élie qui sont creusées dans la face des contreforts. Une croix dorée, de neuf pieds de hauteur, est placée au-dessus de l'entrée.
L'intérieur
L'intérieur de l'église, conçu en s'inspirant de la cathédrale de Lichfield, en Angleterre, est remarquable par son chevet octogonal, sa voûte avec poutres visibles, ses verrières et l'utilisation de terra-cotta très foncé, qui est de l'argile cuite, comme lambris afin de paraître comme du grès. Ce fini est sans précédent dans l'architecture américaine.
Le maître autel en pierre de Caen est un don fait en 1915 en mémoire de Serena Rhineland de même que le retable qui remplace et copie, en bronze, le retable original en bois qui avait été exécuté par Karl Bitter.
Au côté du choeur, une alcôve abrite les fonts baptismaux exécutés en pierre de Caen par Karl Bitter et installés peu après la construction de l'église. Sous un baldaquin de style gothique traditionnel et très décoré, un ange sculpté tient une grande coquille qui sert de réceptacle pour l'eau.
Dans le transept nord, on trouve la chapelle du Souvenir donnée en mémoire d'Alice Hoyt Dominick et qui fut inaugurée le 28 octobre 1956. L'autel a été conçu à New York et exécuté en Italie.
L'ambon, en forme d'aigle, est un cadeau de James P. Burrell, le gérant des propriétés de la famille Rhinelander.
La chapelle du matin, sise dans le cloître entre la maison paroissiale et l'église, s'inspire des salles capitulaires des cathédrales anglaises. En 1966, elle a été rénovée et s'est enrichie de vitraux par Robert Sowers ainsi qu'une croix et des chandeliers exécutés par Daniel Jackson. Les verrières de la chapelle sont de verres opales formant des mosaïques translucides dans un jeu de couleurs prismatiques très harmonieuses.
L'église possède 17 verrières, toutes données en mémoire des différents membres de la famille Rhinelander. Le Britannique Henry Holiday les a toutes conçues et les a toutes exécutées sauf celle de la fenêtre de l'ouest qui fut achevée, après son décès, par sa fille et d'après ses dessins.
Les orgues
L'orgue principal
Le premier orgue installé dans l'église de l'avenue Madison et de la 42e rue a été construit par Henry Erben en 1867. C'était un instrument à traction mécanique dont le devis est inconnu.
Ce premier orgue est remplacé en 1873 par l'Opus 5 du facteur Hilborne L. Roosevelt, de la ville de New York. C'est un instrument de trois claviers avec 38 jeux et 43 rangs. C'est le premier instrument de trois claviers de Roosevelt et ce, même si son premier contrat pour un instrument de trois claviers a été pour l'église épiscopalienne Holy Trinity de Brooklyn. Roosevelt installe l'orgue dans deux buffets identiques placés tout près du choeur dans les deux tribunes latérales alors que la console est placée du côté gauche dans le choeur.
La firme Roosevelt cesse ses opérations en 1893 et tous ses contrats sont repris par la firme Farrand & Votey, de Détroit, MI. Il semble possible que l'opus 758 (1895) de Farrand & Votey, consigné comme la reconstruction de l'orgue de trois claviers de Roosevelt à « l'église épiscopalienne St. James » soit en fait le travail de transférer l'orgue de Roosevelt (Opus 5, 1873, III/43) de l'ancienne église Holy Trinity sur l'avenue Madison et 42e rue à la nouvelle église Holy Trinity de la 88e rue. Celle-ci étant encore connue comme étant une mission de l'église St. James. On ne sait pas si l'orgue Roosevelt a été modifié lors de ce transfert. L'orgue et ses deux buffets identiques sont placés sur la tribune arrière. Les buffets y sont toujours présents.
En 1913, un contrat est signé avec la firme Ernest M. Skinner Organ Co. de Boston, MA pour l'opus 215, un instrument de trois clavier et pédalier. Skinner installe l'orgue dans des buffets identiques dans les transepts : les divisions Great, Swell et le Philomela et la tuyauterie de 8' pour la Pédale du côté nord tandis que les divisions Choir, et les 12 plus gros tuyaux de l'Open Diapason et ceux du Bourdon de la Pédale sont placés du côté sud. Le buffet du transept nord existe encore alors que celui du transept sud a été enlevé pour faire place à l'orgue Rieger.
Dans les années 1940, un division Antiphonal de 8 jeux est ajoutée aux deux buffets de la tribune. Aucune preuve n’existe pour confirmer si cet ajout a été exécuté et par qui.
En 1968, l'orgue Skinner est temporairement remplacé par un instrument électronique Rodgers (III/P, 67 jeux).
L'orgue actuel a été construit en 1987 par la firme Rieger, de Scharzach en Autriche. Il est placé dans un large, mais peu profond buffet de cinq niveaux. Installé dans le transept sud, l'orgue entoure un grande verrière sans pour autant la cacher. Toute la tuyauterie possède un pourcentage élevé d'étain à l'exception de la Flûte du Positif (en chêne), le Cornet du Positis (25 % d'étain) et le Bourdon de la Pédale (en chêne et en pin). La Chamade du Positif est montée horizontalement à l'intérieur du buffet. Le grand ravalement de la Pédale produit une extension jusqu'au AA et s'applique à tous les jeux de cette division. La structure sonore de l'instrument est l'oeuvre d'Anthony Newman qui était organiste à ce moment-là.
L'orgue de choeur
Un instrument unifié de trois rangs répartis sur deux claviers et pédalier, qui était placé dans le choeur, a été, à l'origine, construit en 1981 par la firme Schlicker Organs pour la résidence de Robert et Rosadene Shepfer d'Indianapolis, IN. Lorsque M. Shepfer prend sa retraite en tant qu'organiste et chef de choeur à la Second Presbyterian Church d'Indianapolis, les Shepfer déménagent dans une résidence plus petite et leur orgue est à vendre.
L'église Holy Trinity était à la recherche d'un petit instrument qui pourrait servir de continuo et accompagner la chorale laquelle, après avoir logé dans le transept, avait été transférée dans le choeur, en 1987, pour faire place à l'orgue Rieger. De plus, l'instrument devait s'insérer dans l'espace disponible. Après avoir découvert que l'orgue Schlicker peut s'y insérer de façon parfaite, les Shepfer offrent leur orgue à Stephen Hamilton pour qu'il soit utilisé à l'église Holy Trinity durant son mandat de directeur musical. L'orgue est installé en 2002.
Lorsque Stephen Hamilton prend sa retraite en 2011, l'orgue est donné à la cathédrale St. John the Divine où il est installé dans la Music Suite.
[cliquer sur l'image ou ici pour obtenir une version agrandie]
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church is located in the Yorkville section of Manhattan at 88th Street between First and Second Avenues.
History
The church was founded in 1864 by the Rev. Stephen H. Tyng, Jr., whose father, Dr. Stephen H. Tyng, was the rector of St. George's Church in Stuyvesant Square.
The first church, designed in Victorian "cottage orné" by the English-born Jacob Wrey Mould (1825-1886), was built on the northeast corner of Madison Avenue and 42nd Street.
As the city's population continued to move northward, the church increased in numbers and soon outgrew its building. Rev. Tyng selected Leopold Eidlitz (1823-1908), a Prague-born Jewish immigrant who trained in Vienna, to design a new church that would be a "theater with ecclesiastical details." Completed on the same site in 1873, the new church was built in the High Victorian Gothic style and featured a prominent tower and steeple. Its interior was decorated with patterning in yellow, brown, red and blue, earning it the nickname of "Church of the Homely Oilcloth".
By the end of the 19th century, the church was in decline, affected by the increasingly busy commercial interests in midtown and its location only a block from the first Grand Central Depot. The church wished to move from the business district and decided to unite with St. James Church which was located at 71st Street and Madison Avenue and was supporting a mission, St. Christopher's House (kindergarten, sports facilities, library, assembly rooms,playrooms and public showers), on 83rd Street.
At about the same time, Serena Rhinelander, a direct descendent of William Rhinelander, one of the wealthiest men in New York, who, in 1798, purchased 72 acres stretching from Third Avenue to the East River for a summer home, wanted, as a memorial to her father and grandfather, to donate not only the midblock site on the south side of 88th Street between Second and First Avenues, but also the cost of designing and constructing a church complex. Serena Rhinelander wanted to make this donation to St. James Church and have St. James become the sponsor of the new complex in what had become a working-class neighborhood. However, St. James Church could not, at first, accept her offer because they did not have the maintenance money for the new church complex but the merger with Holy Trinity Church could solve this problem. Money from the sale of Holy Trinity property could provide the needed financial resources to accept Serena Rhineland's offer.
The Diocese of New York arranged to transfer Holy Trinity’s assets from the sale of the property to St. James. This, in turn, enabled St. James to retire its own debt and to assume sponsorship for Serena Rhinelander’s memorial by establishing a $200,000 endowment fund. The diocese also transferred the Holy Trinity name to the proposed new complex. Thus, the generosity of Serena Rhinelander and the endowment from St. James, enabled an institution the neighborhood could not have afforded.
On April 28th, 1897, the new congregation began to worship in the assembly room of St. Christopher's House.
Construction of the new church began the following November with the laying of the cornerstone. Consecration took place on May 6th, 1899.
The Architecture
The church complex is a parallelogram with 150 feet (47.5 metres) frontage on 88th Street and 100 feet (30.5 metres) in depth, the equivalent of 11 full city lots. Serena Rhinelander also bought and donated a small rectangle on the south side of the parallelogram towards 87th Street to accommodate the south transept and permit the church being set back from the street.
J. Stewart Barney of Barney and Chapman was selected as architect. The complex is framed on the east by the rectory and on the west by St. Christopher's House, the parish house. The whole complex is effectively united by a cloister which enables one to walk from one end to the other without going outside. The cloister connecting the parish house to the church is punctuated by the protruding polygonal apse of the morning chapel.
The architecture of the church is French Gothic style of the 13th century which emphasizes verticality and translucency. The pinnacles accentuate the upward-pointing movement on the exterior and the flying buttresses contain the outward pressure of the vaults so that when inside one does not see the heaviest members of the structural skeleton.
The high, open bell tower, 20 feet (1.9 metres) square and 150 feet (45.7 metres) high, rises exactly in the center of the parallelogram. Though of such large size, the tower does not appear heavy, as its long sides are accented vertically by open belfry slots consisting of deep concentric Gothic arches, and the ornamentation upon it is delicate and graceful. At the top are an exuberant profusion of molded terra-cotta sculptures: finials, fleurs de lys, gables, turrets, and 15 gargoyles symbolically standing watch. The tower is crowned by a simple eight-sided spire. It houses 10 bells which were cast in 1898 by Meneely & Co. of Troy, New York. The chime is manually played from the original chime stand located in the middle level of the tower, and was restored in 1995.
The solid lower stage of the tower is relieved by a richly ornamented doorway. The recessed main door is flanked on the left by statues of Ezekiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah, and on the right by St. Peter, St. James and St. John. In the center of the door the central post has a niche with a figure of Christ. Above is a tympanum with a bas-relief of Christ commissioning the eleven apostles to teach and baptize. This portal is the work of Karl Bitter, who also did the two large figures of St. Paul and St. Barnabas on either side of the great west window and St. John the Baptist and Elijah sunk in the faces of the flying buttresses. Above the entrance is a 9-foot-gold leaf cross.
The interior
The church interior was inspired by Lichfield Cathedral in England, and is noted for its octagonal apse, open-timbered ceiling, stained-glass windows, and the use of very dark terra cotta wainscoting, which is baked clay, designed to look like brownstone, a finish unprecedented in American architecture.
The high altar of Caen stone was given in 1915 as a memorial to Serena Rhinelander along with the reredos which replicates, in bronze, the original reredos of wood that had been executed by Karl Bitter.
Next to the chancel, an alcove houses the baptismal font of white Caen stone executed by Karl Bitter and installed soon after the church was built. Under a richly decorated, traditional Gothic canopy is a beautifully carved figure of an angel holding a large sea shell as a receptacle for the water.
Located in the north transept, the Memorial Chapel was given as a memorial to Alice Hoyt Dominick and was dedicated on October 28th, 1956. The altar was designed in New York and executed in Italy.
The eagle lectern was a gift of James P. Burrell, the Rhinelander family’s estate manager.
The morning chapel, located in the cloister between the Parish House and the church, was suggested by the chapter houses of the English cathedrals. In 1966, it was renovated with windows by Robert Sowers and a cross and candlesticks by Daniel Jackson. The stained glass windows in the chapel are opal glass composing translucent mosaics with an admirably harmonious, prismatic play of colors.
There are 17 stained glass windows in the church, all memorials to various members of the Rhinelander family. Englishman Henry Holiday designed them, and he made them all except the west window which after his death was completed by his daughter from his designs.
The Organs
The Main Organ
The first organ installed in the Madison Avenue and 42nd Street church was built by Henry Erben in 1867. It was a mechanical action but its specifications are unknown.
This first organ was replaced in 1873 with Opus 5 from Hilborne L. Roosevelt of New York City. It was a 3-manual, 38-stop, 43-rank instrument. It was Roosevelt's first three-manual organ to be completed, although his first contract for a three-manual organ was for Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Brooklyn. Roosevelt installed the organ in identical cases at the chancel end of the two side galleries, and the console was located on the left side of the chancel floor.
The Roosevelt company ceased operations in 1893, at which time its contracts were taken over by the Farrand & Votey firm of Detroit, MI. Thus, it seems likely that Farrand & Votey's Op. 758 (1895), listed as a rebuild of the 3-manual Roosevelt at "St. James Episcopal", was actually the job to move the III/43 Roosevelt (1873, Op. 5) from the old Holy Trinity Church on Madison and 42nd Street to the new Holy Trinity Church on 88th Street which was still known as being a mission for St. James. It is not known if the Roosevelt organ was altered when it was installed in the present church building. The organ with its two identical organcases is installed on the rear gallery. The organcases are still extant.
In 1913, a contract was signed with the Ernest M. Skinner Organ Company of Boston, MA for the Opus 215, a three-manual and pedal organ. Skinner installed the organ in matching cases in the transepts: on the north side were the Great, Swell and the Philomela, and the Pedal 8'; and on the south side were the Choir, the 12 lowest pipes of the Pedal Open Diapason and the Pedal Bourdon. The north transept case is extant, but the south transept case was removed when the Rieger organ was installed.
In the 1940s, an 8-stop Antiphonal division was added to the two existing cases in the gallery. No records of this division have been found and it is unknown who executed the work.
In 1968, the Skinner organ was temporarily replaced by a Rodgers electronic instrument (3 manuals and pedal, 67 stops).
The actual organ was built in 1987 by the Rieger firm, of Schwarzach, Austria. It is placed in a wide but shallow case having five levels of towers. Located in the south transept of the church, the organ surrounds a large stained-glass window without covering it. All pipework is of high-percentage tin, except for the Positif Flûte (oak), the Postif Cornet (25% tin), and the Pédale Bourdon (oak and pine). The Positif Chamade is mounted horizontally inside the case. The grand ravalement of the Pédale extends the range down to AA and affects all stops in that division. The tonal design of the instrument is the work of Anthony Newman, who was organist at the time.
The Chancel Organ
A unified 3-rank, 2-manual and pedal instrument, that used to be located in the chancel, was originally built in 1981 by Schlicker Organs for the residence of Robert and Rosadene Shepfer of Indianapolis, IN. After Mr. Shepfer retirement as organist and choirmaster at the Second Presbyterian Church in Indianapolis, the Shepfers moved to a smaller residence and made their house organ available.
Holy Trinity had been seeking a concise instrument that could accompany the choir – which had relocated to the chancel after being in the transept since 1987 with the Rieger organ located there – and would serve as a continuo instrument; it must also fit into the available space. It was discovered that the Schlicker organ would fit perfectly, and the Shepfers presented their house organ as a gift to Stephen Hamilton for use at the Church of the Holy Trinity during his tenure there as Minister of Music. The organ was installed in 2002.
When Stephen Hamilton retires in 2011, the organ was gifted to the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, where it was installed in the Music Suite.
I. Grand-Orgue |
II. Positif |
|||
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Bourdon | 16' | Flûte | 8' | |
| Montre | 8' | Principal | 4' | |
| Flûte | 8' | Larigot | 1 1/3' | |
| Prestant | 4' | Mixture 1' | IV | |
| Doublette | 2' | Cornet | V | |
| Grosse Fourniture 4' | VII | Trompette | 8' | |
| Fourniture 1 1/3' | V | Chamade | 8' | |
| Cymbale 1' | V | |||
| Cromorne | 8' | |||
| Trompette | 8' | |||
| Clairon | 4' | |||
III. Récit |
Pédale |
|||
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Flûte | 8' | Montre | 16' | |
| Salicional | 8' | Bourdon | 16' | |
| Céleste | 8' | Principal | 8' | |
| Flûte | 4' | Kontrabombarde | 32' | |
| Sifflet | 1' | Bombarde | 16' | |
| Basson | 16' | | 8' |
| |
| Hautbois | 8' | |||
| Trompette harmonique | 8' | |||
| Clairon harmonique | 4' | |||
| Tremulant | ||||
Autres caractéristiques / Other details
Manual I |
Manual II |
|||
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Rohrgedeckt | 8' | Rohrgedeckt | 8' | |
| Principal | 4' | Flute | 4' | |
| Flute | 2' | Flute | 1 1/3' | |
| Krummhorn | 8' | Krummhorn | 8' | |
Pedal |
|
|---|---|
| Gedeckt | 16' |
| Flute | 8' |
| Principal | 4' |
| Krummhorn | 8' |
Autres caractéristiques / Other details